i'm not in college, i'm in hell

I know I've complained about this before, but I just saw on a classmates facebook wall from a friend, "How's college going?" Words can't describe how much this infuriates me.

Anywho, I want to say congratulations to upcoming graduates, I'm proud of you and you give me hope for the future. At least hope for finishing. I currently have 3 semesters left. Yes 3, Spring 2011, Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. It's bittersweet, because similar to "college" most of my friends do not know what the fuck they are going to do when they graduate. All anyone knows for sure is that they are going to take a Bar exam, some have even narrowed it down to a state. What do you do in these situations? Are there any resources (other than me) to point upcoming grads in the right direction to their future of practicing law? I don't even know what type of law I WANT to practice, but I have definitely narrowed it down to what I don't want to do....worker's comp.

I think the first resource to go to is friends, family, colleagues who have already passed the bar and are in the working world, you can get a sense of what it's all about. Then hopefully your law school has a career center or some sort of advisement. Or the lazy way, you can Google your questions in hopes that someone in the world has your answer.

When I Googled "what happens after graduating law school" most of the sites that popped up feature statements such as: there's too many law school graduates, the job market is dismal, life's a beach then you die.

What the fuck, way to be supportive internet. Well that just discouraged me from even seeking advice from the career center since the people on the internet know much more about reality than a salaried admin in the law school office. Crap.

Well recent grads, I have nothing for you. I would suggest taking the Bar in any state other than Michigan, Ohio or Florida and focus on finding a teaching or government job. Also, if you want your own practice, try to set up shop where your office is readily and locally available to drug dealers. They have an uninterrupted cash flow (until they get caught) and will pay in cash since most don't know what a bank account is. This way you can charge exorbitant prices per hour for criminal defense. Just get off 1 or 2 really successful drug dealing clients and you're set for life. You can defend the low level dealers for loan repayment. You should also look into personal safety if you take this route.

Or marry rich. It's your choice because apparently there's nothing left for us out there.

Comments

Popular Posts